View My Stats

Monday 17 June 2013

Swaddle 101

I am no baby expert. I don't think anyone is.  I'm lucky that Ariana is such an easy and content baby who craves a routine.

We typically run a bath at 6pm and feed by 6.30 which results in her being asleep between 7 and 7.30. Depending on how hungry she is. This then gives me the evening to read/write/clean/tidy/cook/iron and so on. All the fun stuff. Not.

I was of the opinion that Ari hated being swaddled. She broke out of every single one within minutes and had her arms up. Arms up resulted in her hitting herself in the face or worse still, kicking the blankets on her face.

About two weeks ago I learnt this new swaddling method and its changed our lives. Ari now almost sleeps through the night, with an occasional feed at 4am and has two solid 2 hour naps. I put it all down to this swaddling method. Please note that I do it tighter, but she was screaming and I was taking photos with one hand so I didn't do a very good job. But you still get the idea. She's wearing a Purebaby zip grosuit and is swaddled with a Purebaby star wrap. I adore Purebaby! 


Line up the swaddle to the top of the shoulders, around the neck. 


Fold down over the arm.


And tuck under the body. The weight of the baby will held stop the arms from waving up.


Bottom of the wrap then goes over the top of the baby.


And is then tucked under the baby again.  Virtually a double swaddle.

I have learnt that babies do not know what they like or what they want. They were tucked snuggly in the belly for 9+ months so recreating that snug feeling will make all the difference in settling them and getting some sleep. Or at least I think it has for me.

1 comment:

  1. I am bookmarking this and the two Mez's baby posts for when I one day have my own. You girls are switched on mumma's!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment.